Place:Coundon, Durham, England

Alt namesGrange Hillsource: village in Coundon Grange parish
Leasingthornesource: village in parish
Leeholmesource: village in parish
New Coundonsource: village in parish
Coundon Grangesource: adjacent civil parish with same history
TypeTownship, Chapelry, Civil parish
Coordinates54.667°N 1.634°W
Located inDurham, England     ( - 1937)
See alsoAuckland St. Andrew, Durham, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Darlington Ward, Durham, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Auckland Rural, Durham, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1937
Bishop Auckland, Durham, Englandparish into which it was absorbed in 1937
Wear Valley District, Durham, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-2009
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog

Coundon is an old mining village in County Durham, England. The Boldon Book mentions a mine in Coundon in the 12th century. (Source: Wikipedia)

Coundon was originally a township in the ancient parish of Auckland St. Andrew in County Durham. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Auckland Rural District until 1937 when it was abolished and absorbed into Bishop Auckland. Between 1974 and 2009 the area became part of the larger Wear Valley non-metropolitan district. Since 2009 County Durham has been a unitary authority.

Coundon Grange

Coundon Grange was a separate civil parish located immediately to the south of Coundon. Its history is the same and it has been redirected here for convenience.

A nineteenth century description

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Coundon from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"COUNDON, a township and a chapelry in Auckland-St. Andrew parish, Durham. The township lies adjacent to the Stockton railway, 2 miles ESE of Bishop-Auckland; and has a post office under Darlington. Acres: 584. Real property: £4,725; of which £2,205 are in mines. Population: 2,765. Houses: 534.
"The chapelry was constituted in 1842. Population: 3,095. Houses: 608. The property is not much divided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value: £300. Patron: the Bishop of Durham. The church is good; and there are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school."

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Coundon. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.