The civil parish names can be read with a magnifying glass. The lightly coloured areas were parts of parishes transferred from one district council to another during the period 1894-1974.
Cottingham is a village and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It lies just to the north-west of the city of Kingston upon Hull. With a parish population of over 17,000 in 2011, Cottingham is one of the villages claiming to be the largest village in England.
Historically, Cottingham was an ecclesiastical parish in the Harthill Wapentake. From 1894 until 1935 Cottingham was an Urban District. When the district was abolished most of the area was absorbed into Haltemprice Urban District, but the most rural parts were taken into adjacent parishes within Beverley Rural District.
In 1974 most of what had been the East Riding of Yorkshire was joined with the northern part of Lincolnshire to became a new English county named Humberside. The urban and rural districts of the former counties were abolished and Humberside was divided into non-metropolitan districts. The new organization did not meet with the pleasure of the local citizenry and Humberside was wound up in 1996. The area north of the River Humber was separated into two "unitary authorities"—Kingston-upon-Hull covering the former City of Hull and its closest environs, and the less urban section which, once again, named itself the East Riding of Yorkshire.
Today Cottingham is within the East Riding of Yorkshire with its southern boundary the Metropolitan Borough of Kingston upon Hull. See Wikipedia article for Hull, Geography section.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Cottingham. The article includes a long history of the village.
A Vision of Britain Through Time. Article on Cottingham, East Riding, Yorkshire.