Coseley is a suburban area in the north of the Dudley Metropolitan Borough located in the county of theWest Midlands in England since 1974. Part of the Black Country, it is situated approximately three miles north of Dudley itself, on the border with Wolverhampton.
In 1966, the south of Coseley became part of the Dudley County Borough, and since 1974, the Metropolitan Borough of Dudley in the West Midlands. However, the northern part of Coseley, formerly the Brierley Hill area and most of Ettingshall, was merged into the Wolverhampton County Borough instead, while a smaller area bordering Tipton was transferred into the expanded borough of West Bromwich, in turn becoming part of Sandwell in 1974.
Coseley was originally a village in the ancient manor of Sedgeley. In 1867, it joined with Brierley Hill and Ettingshall to break away from the parish of Sedgley and formed Lower Sedgley Local Board District. In 1875, the name was changed to Coseley Local Board District by order of the Council and, in 1895, became Coseley Urban District. At this stage, most of the Coseley area was occupied by industrial and agricultural land.
In Coseley industry through the 20th century revolved around passenger car assembly (until 1929), parts for the automotive industry, and kitchen appliances.