Place:Cornhill on Tweed, Northumberland, England

Watchers
NameCornhill on Tweed
Alt namesEast Learmouthsource: from redirect
West Learmouthsource: from redirect
TypeChapelry, Civil parish
Coordinates55.648°N 2.216°W
Located inNorthumberland, England     (1844 - )
Also located inDurham, England     (1844 - )
See alsoNorhamshire, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Norham and Islandshires Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1955
the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Cornhill on Tweed is a small village and civil parish in Northumberland, England about 1 mile (1.6 km) to the east of Coldstream, Scotland. The hamlets of West Learmouth and East Learmouth are located to the south and west of the village respectively. The parish had a population of 347 at the UK census of 2011.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Cornhill on Tweed from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"CORNHILL, a village and a chapelry in Norham parish, Northumberland. The village stands adjacent to the Tweedmouth and Kelso railway, about a mile from the Tweed, and 5¾ SSW of Norham. It has a station on the railway, which serves for the neighbouring Scotch town of Coldstream; has also a good inn, and a fair on 6 Dec.; and is a good centre for anglers. The chapelry comprises 4,746 acres; and its post town is Coldstream. Real property: £7,989. Population: 853. Houses: 167. The property is divided among a few. Traces exist of a castle taken by the Scots in 1549. There is a mineral well. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value: £300. Patrons: the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church is early English, and was repaired in 1840."

Cornhill was a chapelry in the ancient parish of Norham within the county of Durham until 1844 and subsequently in Northumberland. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1974 it was part of Norham and Islandshires Rural District. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Ancroft became part of the Berwick upon Tweed District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Cornhill-on-Tweed. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.