Corio is a residential and industrial area, which forms one of the largest suburbs of Geelong, Victoria in Australia. It is located approximately 9 km north of the Geelong central business district. The area was formerly known as Cowie's Creek after James Cowie, an early land owner who was active in the local and state government.
Explorers Hume and Hovell reached Corio and reported that the local Aborigines referred to the area as 'coraiyo', loosely meaning 'small marsupial' or 'sandy cliffs'.
The land was first subdivided and sold in 1852 as "Cowie's Creek". By the 1860s, Cowie's Creek was home to two hotels and a population of approximately 500 people.
A post office opened on November 16, 1864, and was renamed as Corio Post Office in 1913. It was situated on School Road, adjacent to a railway level crossing. In 1963, it was again renamed Corio "North" Post Office when the contemporary Corio Post Office inside of the Corio Shopping Centre was opened. This is now located on the ground floor, having moved from its original first floor location. Corio North Post Office was closed in 1977.
The Corio Village Shopping Centre was opened in 1973. The Shopping Centre currently includes a K-Mart, Coles, Woolworths, Best and Less, McDonalds, Subway, Gloria Jean's Coffees, Optus, Telstra outlets, Cotton On, Millers, a Tattslotto agency, major banks, and a number of Australian Government agencies which include the Australia Post and a Centrelink office. After a re-development in 2007/08, it became known as the Corio Shopping Centre.
The Aldi supermarket chain built a store adjacent to Beckley Park in the mid-2000s. Harvey Norman and Hungry Jacks are located on the Princes Highway entering Geelong from Melbourne. Nearby is a new retail development for several large stores with a Red Rooster at its entrance.