A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Copping Syke from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
A Vision of Britain through Time reports that it was an extraparochial area until 1858 and then a civil parish 1858 until 1935.
However, GENUKI is more expansive and gives differing information: It is on the east bank of the River Witham, 8.5 miles northwest of Boston. The parish is just over 100 miles north of London. The area is flat fenland, only just 475 acres, drained by many small canals. The parish was formed in April, 1906. There is no record of a church. In 1900, Copping Syke was a hamlet in Langrivlle. The parish was formed by Local Government Order No. 48,320 on 1 April 1906. It reconstituted all of the civil parishes of Great Beats, Little Beats and Seven Acres, as well as portions of Frampton and Wyberton parishes. Originally, it was assigned as part of the South Lindsey Division of the county, parts of Holland. The parish is in the ancient Kirton Wapentake in the East Lindsey division in the parts of Lindsey. In 1935, the parish was abolished to enlarge Wildmore parish in Horncastle Rural District.
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.