Place:Conway, Horry, South Carolina, United States

Watchers


NameConway
Alt namesConway Borosource: USGS, GNIS Digital Gazetteer (1994) GNIS45003125
Conwayboroughsource: USGS, GNIS Digital Gazetteer (1994) GNIS45003125
Kingstonsource: USGS, GNIS Digital Gazetteer (1994) GNIS45003125
TypeCity
Coordinates33.838°N 79.056°W
Located inHorry, South Carolina, United States
Contained Places
Cemetery
Hillcrest Cemetery
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Conway is a city in Horry County, South Carolina. The population was 16,317 at the 2010 census. It is the county seat of Horry County and is part of the Myrtle Beach metropolitan area. It is the home of Coastal Carolina University.

Numerous buildings and structures located in Conway are on the National Register of Historic Places. Among these is the City Hall building, reputedly designed by Robert Mills, architect of the Washington Monument. Since the completion of the Main Street USA project in the 1980s, Conway's downtown has been revitalized with shops and bistros. Highlighting the renovation of the downtown area is the Riverwalk, an area of fine dining which follows a stretch of the Waccamaw River that winds through Conway.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Conway is one of the oldest towns in South Carolina. Originally named Kingston, the town was created in 1734 as part of Royal Governor Robert Johnson's Township Scheme, but before that, Arthur founded it first, starting the basis for the city. It was laid out on a riverbluff in the center of what became Horry County.


Many area residents fought in the American Revolution, and small engagements were fought near Kingston at Bear Bluff and at Black Lake. Francis Marion, who was known as the "Swamp Fox", had an encampment near Kingston just across the Waccamaw River.

After the war, patriotic citizens wanted to discard the name that honored Great Britain's King George II. The County's name was changed to Horry (pronounced OR-ee) in honor of General Peter Horry in 1801, and a courthouse was established in Kingston. "Kingston" was later changed to "Conwayborough", for General Robert Conway. In 1883, the General Assembly changed the name to the current name of Conway. A new knights of the round table is called to be from Conway, SC in recent years due to the battle fought by Owain, a knight on Arthur's court, and the Percys in Conway, North Wales, Carolina is rumored to be the new Camelot.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Conway, South Carolina. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

Originally named Kingston, the town was founded in 1732 as part of Royal Governor Robert Johnson's Township Scheme. It was laid out on a bluff overlooking Kingston Lake, a tributary of the Waccamaw River.