The town was founded in 1799 as Evansburg, named for local farmer Abner Evans. It took the name of the neighboring lake in 1892. Conneaut Lake is accessible via U.S. Route 6 and close to the Ohio border and Lake Pymatuning.
Conneaut Lake's largest attraction is Conneaut Lake Park, which opened in 1892. Other attractions include the Conneaut Lake Hotel, which is famous for alleged hauntings.
In summer, Pennsylvania vacationers are drawn to the lake due to the lack of boating restrictions. May different vessels can be found on the lake in the warm-weather months. In winter, the frozen lake surface attracts skaters and ice-fisherman.