- source: Family History Library Catalog
Coneythorpe and Clareton was declared a civil parish in 1888. Consequently all references prior to this date refer to the hamlets separarately. A portion of the land of Clareton went to Allerton Mauleverer parish at this time (source: A Vision of Britain through Time).
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Coneythorpe from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "CONEYTHORPE, a township in Goldsborough parish, W. R. Yorkshire; 3½ miles E by N of Knaresborough. Population: 115. Houses: 22."
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Clareton from the same source:
- "CLARETON, a township in Allerton-Mauleverer parish, [West Riding of] Yorkshire; under Clare Hill, 3¼ miles ENE of Knaresborough. Population: 22. Houses: 3.
Both hamlets were in the ecclesiastical parish of Goldsborough in the Upper division of the Claro Wapentake. From 1894 until 1938, Coneythorpe with Clareton was located in Great Ouseburn Rural District and from 1938 until 1974 in Nidderdale Rural District. In 1974 the area became part of the Harrogate District of North Yorkshire.
The page, Great Ouseburn Rural District, has an outline map of all the civil parishes in the district.
- GENUKI on Coneythorpe and Clareton. The GENUKI page gives numerous references to local bodies providing genealogical assistance.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Goldsborough provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Coneythorpe.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Clareton.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to maps of the West Riding, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. Those listed here provide data for the part of the West Riding that transferred to North Yorkshire in 1974 plus the northern parts of Leeds and Bradford. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1888. The "Sanitary Districts (which preceded the rural districts) for the whole of the West Riding.
- Ordnance Survey Northern part of the West Riding 1900 The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (rural districts of Sedbergh, Settle, Skipton, Pateley Bridge, Ripon, Knaresborough, Great Ouseburn, Clitheroe, Wharfedale, Wetherby, York, Bishopthorpe, Keighley, the northern part of Bradford, the northern part of Leeds, the northern part of Hunslet Urban District, the northern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the northern part of Selby Rural District)
- Ordnance Survey Northern part of the West Riding 1944. The urban and rural districts of the northern part of the West Riding (mostly Settle, Skipton, Ripon and Pateley Bridge, and Nidderdale, with sections of Wharfedale and Wetherby) after the revisions of 1935.