Place:Compton Abdale, Gloucestershire, England

NameCompton Abdale
Alt namesCompton-Abdalesource: Family History Library Catalog
Contonesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 112
Cuntunesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 112
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates51.8425°N 1.9143°W
Located inGloucestershire, England
See alsoBradley Hundred, Gloucestershire, Englandhundred in which the parish was located
Northleach Rural, Gloucestershire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1935-1974
Cotswold District, Gloucestershire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog

Compton Abdale is a small settlement in the Cotswold District of Gloucestershire, England. From 1894 until 1974 it was located in the Northleach Rural District.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Compton Abdale from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"COMPTON-ABDALE, a parish in Northleach [registration] district, Gloucester; on the river Colne, 3 miles WNW of Northleach, and 9 SE by E of Cheltenham [railway] station. Post town, Northleach, under Cheltenham. Acres: 2,215. Real property: £2,047. Population: 258. Houses: 49. The property is divided among a few. Part of the surface is heath. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £81. Patrons: the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The church was repaired in 1859."

Research Tips

Online sources which may also be helpful:

  • Compton Abdale from A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 9/Bradley hundred] in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online