Compton Valence is a small village and civil parish in the county of Dorset in southern England. It lies within the West Dorset administrative district, approximately west of the county town Dorchester. It is sited at the head of a narrow valley, formed by a small tributary of the River Frome, and is surrounded by the hills of the Dorset Downs, which has led to it having been described as "a pocket of habitation in the downs." In the 2001 Census the population of the village was 63.
The parish church has a 15th-century tower but the rest of the building was rebuilt in 1838-9 by Benjamin Ferrey.
The locality is known to geologists for the 'Compton Valence Dome', arising from the local updoming of the chalk strata. The core of this geological structure has been eroded to reveal the older underlying Middle Jurassic mudstones. It lies astride the Wynford Fault and is thought to arise from a complex intersection of faults in the area.
Compton Valence is known locally for its display of snowdrops, which fill the road verges in late winter.
A Vision of Britain Through Time stated during the early 20th century, "COMPTON-VALLENCE, or East Compton, a parish in Dorchester district, Dorset; 2½ miles SW of Grimstone and Frampton r. station, and 6½ WNW of Dorchester. It has a post office, of the name of Compton-Vallence, under Dorchester. Acres, 1, 296. Real property, £1, 498. Pop., 136. Houses, 26. The property is all in one estate. diocese of Salisbury. Value, £300.* Patron, R. Williams, Esq. The church is an edifice of 1840, in the later English style, after designs by Ferrey."