Place:Kea, Cornwall, England

Watchers
NameKea
Alt namesSt. Keasource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates50.243°N 5.073°W
Located inCornwall, England
See alsoPowder Hundred, Cornwall, Englandhundred in which it was located
Truro Rural, Cornwall, Englandrural district of which it was a part 1894-1974
Truro Registration District, Cornwall, Englandregistration district of which it was part 1837-2007
Chacewater, Cornwall, Englandnew parish part formed from part of Kea in 1934
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Kea (Cornish: Sen Ke) is a village and civil parish in Cornwall, England. It is a "large straggling parish" (Source:GENUKI) in a former mining area south of Truro. The population of the civil parish in 2001 was 1,516.

Kea village is situated just over one mile (1.6 km) southwest of Truro and Old Kea is situated two miles (3 km) to the east on the west bank of the Truro River. St. Kea reputedly landed at Old Kea on his first visit to Cornwall and established a church there. This was the parish church until replaced by All Hallows.

Today, the parish is mainly agricultural, and is noted for giving its name to the damson-type Kea plum. It is bounded to the north by Calenick Creek and Truro civil parish; to the east by the Truro River and River Fal; to the south by the parishes of Feock, Perranarworthal and Gwennap; and to the west by Kenwyn. Other settlements in the parish include Calenick, Come-to-Good, Killiow, Nansavallan, Playing Place and Porth Kea or Porthkea. A Quaker Meeting House opened in Come-to-Good in 1710.

Kea was described in 1870–72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870) as:

"A parish and a sub-district in Truro district, Cornwall. The parish lies on the Falmouth and Redruth railways, 2¼ miles SSW of Truro; is bounded, on the E, by the river Fal, on the N, by Kenwyn, on the W, by Gwennap; and contains parts of the chapelries of Baldhu, Chacewater, and Mithian. Real property: £7,158 of which £1,234 are in mines. Pop(ulation) in 1861: 3,949. Houses: 824. The manor belongs to Viscount Falmouth."

Kea was in the Powder Hundred was part of the Truro Rural District from 1894 until 1974. Part of Kea was transferred to the new civil parish of Chacewater in 1934.


Research Tips

One of the many maps available on A Vision of Britain through Time is one from the Ordnance Survey Series of 1900 illustrating the parish boundaries of Cornwall at the turn of the 20th century. This map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets.

The following websites have pages explaining their provisions in WeRelate's Repository Section. Some provide free online databases.

  • GENUKI makes a great many suggestions as to other websites with worthwhile information about Cornwall as well as providing 19th century descriptions of each of the ecclesiastical parishes.
  • FamilySearch Wiki provides a similar information service to GENUKI which may be more up-to-date.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time has
  1. organization charts of the hierarchies of parishes within hundreds, registration districts and rural and urban districts of the 20th century
  2. excerpts from a gazetteer of circa 1870 outlining individual towns and parishes
  3. reviews of population through the time period 1800-1960
  • More local sources can often be found by referring to "What Links Here" in the column on the left.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Kea, Cornwall. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.