Place:Colville, Stevens, Washington, United States

Watchers


NameColville
Alt namesPinkney Citysource: USGS, GNIS Digital Gazetteer (1994) GNIS53004114
TypeCity
Coordinates48.545°N 117.901°W
Located inStevens, Washington, United States
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Colville (Ktunaxa: xapqǂinik̓ ) is a city in Stevens County, Washington, United States. The population was 4,673 at the 2010 census. It is the county seat of Stevens County.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

John Work, an agent for The Hudson's Bay Company, established Fort Colville near the Kettle Falls fur trading site in 1825. It replaced the Spokan House and the Flathead Post as the main trading center of the Upper Columbia River. The Oregon boundary dispute (or Oregon question) arose as a result of competing British and American claims to the Pacific Northwest of North America in the first half of the 19th century. In 1859, the US Army established a new Fort Colville at Pinkney City, about 1.5 miles NE of the current city of Colville. That fort was abandoned in 1882 and the city was moved to the present location on the Colville River Valley.

In the 1950s, in the hills above Colville, was the Colville Air Force Station, part of the Air Defense Command's network of radar stations. A few buildings remain at the site today which is largely used by paint-ballers.

Colville, as a town, was claimed to be founded by John U. Hofstetter, and was officially incorporated as a city on June 7, 1890.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Colville, Washington. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.