Place:Colton, St. Lawrence, New York, United States

Watchers


NameColton
TypeTown
Coordinates44.55°N 74.933°W
Located inSt. Lawrence, New York, United States
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Colton is a town in St. Lawrence County, New York, USA. The population was 1,451 at the 2010 census. The town, originally named Matildaville, is named after early settler Jesse Colton Higley.

The Town of Colton is located in the southeast part of the county and is south of the Village of Potsdam.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

The first land patents were issued in 1776. The first settlement occurred around 1825 near Colton village in the northern part of the town.

Colton was organized in 1843 from part of the Town of Parishville. Additional land from Parishville was added to Colton in 1851, and Colton was increased in 1876 from territory taken from the Town of Hopkinton.

The Zion Episcopal Church and Rectory was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003. The Hepburn Library of Colton was added in 2012.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Colton, New York. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.