|Alt names||Coletuna||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 188|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Norfolk, England|
|See also||Forehoe Hundred, Norfolk, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Forehoe Rural, Norfolk, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1935|
|Marlingford, Norfolk, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1935|
|South Norfolk District, Norfolk, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Colton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "COLTON, a parish in Forehoe [registration] district, Norfolk; on the river Blackwater, 3 miles NNE of Kimberley [railway] station, and 5¼ N of Wymondham. Post town: Marlingford, under Norwich. Acres: 911. Real property: £1,862. Population: 228. Houses: 55. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value: £348. Patron: the Lord Chancellor. The church is good. A school has £9 from endowment; and other charities £27."
Colton was absorbed into the neighbouring parish of Marlingford in 1935. The area is now part of the South Norfolk District.
- GENUKI provides a list of references for Colton. Some entries lead to free online transcriptions of registers and censuses.
- GENUKI also advises that the following lists for Norfolk are to be found in FamilySearch:
- England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1510-1997
- England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812
- England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941
- England, Norfolk Marriage Bonds, 1557-1915
- England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901
Categories: Norfolk, England | Colton, Norfolk, England | Forehoe Hundred, Norfolk, England | Forehoe Rural, Norfolk, England | Marlingford, Norfolk, England | South Norfolk District, Norfolk, England