- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Coln St. Aldwyns (sometimes Coln St. Aldwyn) is a village and civil parish in the Cotswold District of the English county of Gloucestershire.
A 19th century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Coln St. Aldwyns from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "COLN-ST. ALDWIN, a parish in Northleach [registration] district, Gloucester; on the river Colne and the Fosse way, 3 miles N by W of Fairford, and 8½ ENE of Cirencester [railway] station. It has a post office under Swindon. Acres: 3,420. Real property: £3,107. Population: 516. Houses: 101. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £103. Patrons: the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester. The church is variously Norman, early English, and perpendicular; and was repaired in 1853. Charities, £14."
Northleach (1837 - 1937)
Cirencester (1937 - 2006)
Gloucestershire (2006 - )
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
- Ancestry.co.uk has recently added Gloucestershire Burials, 1813-1988; Confirmations, 1834-1913; Baptisms, 1813-1913; Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813; and Marriages and Banns, 1754-1938. (entry dated 1 Aug 2015)
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Brightwells Barrow (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Cotswold (district), Gloucestershire, England | Northleach Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Cirencester Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England