College Township is a township in Centre County, Pennsylvania, United States. It is part of the State College, Pennsylvania Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 9,521 at the 2010 census, which was a 12.2% increase from the 2000 census. College Township was formed on November 25, 1875 from Howard Township.
College Township is served by the State College Area School District for k-12 education and the Alpha Fire Company for fire protection. The Alpha Fire Company maintains of 1 of its 2 substations in the College Township Municipal Building.
Pennsylvania State University is partially in College Township.
College Township was the last of the Centre Region townships to be esatablished. It was created from parts of Benner and Harris Townships in 1875 (not true; incorporated 25 Nov 1857) to reflect the successful establishment of the Agricultural College, now Penn State, on former Centre Furnace Iron Company lands. The furnace operation dominated the area from the 1790s until well into the 19th century, with most settlers either employed in ironmaking or in farming. In addition to the families of ironmasters Patton, Miles, Thompson and Irvin, other early settlers were the Moores, Housers, Whitehills and Dales. Lemont, at the foot of Mount Nittany and the intersection of Nittany and Penns Valleys, along with Houserville and Oak Hall became the principal communities in the Township.