- source: Family History Library Catalog
- source: Family History Library Catalog
The second Family History Library Catalog reference is that for Hailes.
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Colinton is a suburb of Edinburgh, Scotland situated 6 kilometres south west of the city centre. Up until the late 18th century it appears on maps as Collington. It is bordered by Dreghorn to the south and Craiglockhart to the north-east. To the north-west it extends to Lanark Road (the A70) and to the south-west to the City Bypass. Bonaly is a subsection of the area on its southern side.
Colinton is a designated conservation area.
From Scottish Places
- "Originally a ford and mill village lying in a steep-sided valley cut by the Water of Leith, some 4 miles (6 km) southwest of central Edinburgh, Colinton has grown into a sizeable and desirable residential suburb of the city. The mills produced textiles, snuff and paper. The Bank of Scotland's first banknotes were said to have been printed on paper manufactures in Colinton.
- Today, the road crosses the river high above the old village, with Spylaw Street descending to the old village, the historic Parish Church and Colinton Dell."
The parish church has records for birth dating from 1654, for marriages from 1654 and for deaths from 1716. Colinton was absorbed into Edinburgh in 1920.
Hailes was an ancient parish to the northwest of Colinton. It was first recorded in 1095, when the land was given to Dunfermline Abbey by Ethelred, son of Malcolm Canmore. Hailes House, which dates from c.1765, lay at the centre of the estate. Hailes Quarry operated from 1750 until 1900 and has been re-made into a public park. Most of the area was laid out for housing in the 1930s.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Colinton.
Sources for Old Parish Registers Records, Vital Records and Censuses
- Scotland's People This is a pay website providing vital statistics and census data for all of Scotland with original images. There is a description at Scotland under Genealogical Resources.
Further Sources of Reference
Please note and respect the copyright warnings on these websites.
- GENUKI article on Colinton. The contributor provides a book of reference under "Bibliography".
- Scottish Places article on Colinton. The tabs of the right provide more information, and comparitive maps.
- FamilySearch Wiki article on Colinton providing direct reference to FamilySearch holdings on many topics with respect to the village.
- The National Library of Scotland have a website devoted to maps from the 1600s right up to the present. Comparisons of modern-day and old maps of the same place can be made. From the home page click on "Find by place" and then follow the instructions on the next page. Once you are viewing the place you want, use the slider <----> at the top of the map to compare the layout of roads and the place names of smaller areas, perhaps even farms, with the landscape today. The website takes some getting used to. The One-inch 2nd edition, Scotland, 1898-1904 OS is a series of maps with the parishes delineated. Each of these maps cover an area of 18 x 24 miles and will zoom to comfortable reading size with a couple of mouse clicks on the map itself. Unfortunately, they are not geo-referenced, and it is necessary to go to the OS One Inch 1885-1900 series to locate places by latitude and longitude.
- The Statistical Accounts for Scotland In the 1790s and again in the 1830s, the ministers of the all the parishes of the Church of Scotland were asked to provide a description of their parish to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland. The original account request included 160 questions to be answered. These accounts are available in print in 20 volumes and are also online where it is freely available to browse. The browsing portal is below the viewing area of most computer screens. Scroll down to "For non-subscribers" and click on "Browse scanned pages". This brings you to another page on which one can enter the name of the parish in which you are interested.
- Excerpts from The Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and Historical, edited by Francis H. Groome and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works, Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885 are provided by Scottish Places. Selections from Groome and other gazetteers from the 19th century are also found on GENUKI.