- source: Family History Library Catalog
Norwood Green is a small village situated between Bradford, Halifax and Huddersfield and Coley is a neighbouring hamlet. The area was in the West Riding of Yorkshire until 1974; it has now been renamed West Yorkshire, England. Norwood Green and Coley were jointly made a civil parish in 1894 when they were removed from Hipperholme with Brighouse Sanitary District. The new civil parish was part of Halifax Rural District from 1894 until 1937 and absorbed by Brighouse Municipal Borough on the abolition of Halifax Rural district.
Since 1974 the parish has been part of the Metropolitan Borough of Calderdale. Historically, both Norwood Green and Coley were in the ecclesiastical parish of Halifax in the Morley division of the wapentake of Agbrigg and Morley.
- GENUKI on both Norwood Green and Coley. The GENUKI page gives numerous references to local bodies providing genealogical assistance.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Halifax provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Norwood Green.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to three maps for what is now South Yorkshire, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1888. The "Sanitary Districts (which preceded the rural districts) for the whole of the West Riding.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding South 1900. The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (the southern part of Bradford, the southern part of Leeds, the southern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the southern part of Selby, Goole Rural District, and all the divisions of Halifax, Huddersfield, Wakefield, Doncaster, Barnsley, Rotherham and Sheffield)
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1944. The urban and rural districts of the whole of the West Riding after the revisions of 1935.
Categories: West Riding of Yorkshire, England | West Yorkshire, England | Calderdale, West Yorkshire, England | Halifax Rural, West Riding of Yorkshire, England | Brighouse, West Riding of Yorkshire, England | Agbrigg and Morley Wapentake, West Riding of Yorkshire, England