The town is in the northeast part of the county and is northeast of Binghamton.
The area was first settled around 1785. The Town of Colesville was established in 1821 from part of the town of Windsor. Robert Harpur, an early developer, has lent his name to the community of Harpursville. He is believed to be responsible for the many classical names assigned to communities in central New York.