|Alt names||Colemere||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 123|
|Colmer||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Hampshire, England|
|See also||Barton Stacey Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located until 1834|
|East Meon Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located after 1834|
|Petersfield Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1932|
|Colemore and Priors Dean, Hampshire, England||civil parish of which it was part 1932-1974|
|East Hampshire District, Hampshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Colemore is a hamlet and former village in the Hampshire Downs about 5 miles (8 km) northwest of Petersfield. It was united with Priors Dean to form the civil parish of Colemore and Priors Dean in 1932.
Colemore is a largely abandoned village. There were houses southwest of the parish church and southeast of manor farm. Manor Farmhouse is an early 17th-century brick house, altered in the middle of the 19th century.
The earliest parts of the former Church of England parish church of St Peter ad Vincula ("St Peter in Chains") are 11th-century. It is a Grade II* listed building. It is now redundant and in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust.
The brothers John Greaves (1602–52, mathematician), Edward Greaves (1608–80, physician) and Thomas Greaves (1612–76, orientalist) were all sons of a rector of the parish and born in the village. A later orientalist, Richard Pococke (1704–65), was also the son of a rector of the parish.
- Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 4, chapter on Colemore.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Hampshire, England | Colemore, Hampshire, England | Barton Stacey Hundred, Hampshire, England | East Meon Hundred, Hampshire, England | Petersfield Rural, Hampshire, England | Colemore and Priors Dean, Hampshire, England | East Hampshire District, Hampshire, England