- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Cooklaw [sic] is a small settlement in Northumberland, England. It is near the A6079 road and the River North Tyne.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Cocklaw from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "COCKLAW, a township in St. John-Lee parish, Northumberland; near the Roman wall and the North Tyne river, 4½ miles N of Hexham. Acres: 3,666. Population: 200. Houses: 38. Cocklaw tower here, now a ruin, was the seat of the Erringtons."
Cocklaw was originally a township in the ancient parish of Lee St. John. It became a separate civil parish in 1866, but in 1955 was absorbed into the neighbouring parish of Wall.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.