The civil parish of Aston and Cote was formed in 1866. The two settlements were formerly townships in Bampton. In 1931 Aston and Cote was united with Chimney were united to form the civil parish of Aston Bampton, which was merged with Shifford in 1954 to form the parish of Aston Bampton and Shifford. The parish was later renamed Aston, Cote, Shifford and Chimney.
Aston is a village about 4 miles (6.4 km) south of Witney in the West Oxfordshire District, England. The southern boundary of the parish is the River Thames. The 2011 UK Census recorded the parish's population as 1,374.