Place:Aston and Cote, Oxfordshire, England

NameAston and Cote
Alt namesAston Bamptonsource: parish renamed, see below
Aston Cote Shifford and Chimneysource: parish renamed, see below
Aston Bampton and Shiffordsource: parish renamed, see below
Bampton Astonsource: parish renamed, see below
Astonsource: village in parish
Cotesource: hamlet in parish
TypeHamlet, Civil parish
Coordinates51.725°N 1.508°W
Located inOxfordshire, England
See alsoBampton Hundred, Oxfordshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
West Oxfordshire District, Oxfordshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

The civil parish of Aston and Cote was formed in 1866. The two settlements were formerly townships in Bampton. In 1931 Aston and Cote was united with Chimney to form the civil parish of Aston Bampton, which was merged with Shifford in 1954 to form the parish of Aston Bampton and Shifford. The parish was later renamed Aston, Cote, Shifford and Chimney.

Since 1974 Aston is a village about 4 miles (6.4 km) south of Witney in the West Oxfordshire District, England. The southern boundary of the parish is the River Thames. The 2011 UK Census recorded the parish's population as 1,374.

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Aston, Oxfordshire. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.