Coachford is a village in County Cork, Ireland. It is located on the north side of the River Lee. Coachford owes its name to once being a crossing point over a stream for horse-drawn coaches, and this stream continues to flow beneath the village to the present day. The Lee was flooded for a hydroelectric power plant and farmland including many houses were flooded by the newly formed lake. Coachford is located around a crossroads where the R618 and R619 regional roads intersect. Mallow is north of the village, Macroom is west, Cork City is east and Bandon is south.
Coachford does not feature on the 1811 Grand Jury Map of Cork, but is mentioned in the Freeman's Journal, dated 10 January 1822, and the area and its environs were known as "Magourney". The Village developed rapidly during the Famine (when it was a centre of relief within the mid Cork area) and subsequently. By 1888, the Cork & Muskerry Light Railway had a terminus at Coachford, adding to local business, accessibility and vibrancy. By the end of the nineteenth century, Coachford possessed a renowned Creamery, complimenting its agricultural hinterland. By the 1950s, a Vocational School was present, known today as Coachford Community College.
Close to Coachford is Mullinhassig Waterfall. It is about west of Coachford just off the Macroom Road. Close to the schools is a medieval church surrounded by a cemetery of centuries old graves. Just about south of Coachford on the road to Bandon is Rooves Bridge, which was constructed over the River Lee in the 1950s to replace the old bridge which was submerged due to the building of the hydroelectric dam at Inniscarra about down river. Rooves Bridge is the longest bridge spanning the River Lee.