Place:Clopton, Northamptonshire, England

Alt namesClaptonsource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates52.407°N 0.434°W
Located inNorthamptonshire, England
See alsoThrapston Rural, Northamptonshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1935
Oundle and Thrapston Rural, Northamptonshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1935-1974
East Northamptonshire District, Northamptonshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Clopton is a small village and civil parish located in East Northamptonshire, close to the Cambridgeshire border. The village stretches along the north side of the B662 and was recorded in the Domesday Book as 'Clotone'. At the time of the 2001 census, the parish's population was 134 people. The Village Church of St Peter was built in about 1863 by Richard Armstrong.

The village is reputed to be haunted by a ghost known as Skulking Dudley, who lived in the area in the 14th century. Skulking Dudley Coppice is named after him.

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Clopton, Northamptonshire. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.