- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Clipsham is a small village in the county of Rutland in the East Midlands of England. It is in the northeast of Rutland, close to the county boundary with Lincolnshire.
The village is well known for its limestone quarries. Clipsham stone, part of the Upper Lincolnshire Limestone Formation, can be found in many of Britain's most famous buildings including King's College Chapel (Cambridge), the Examination Schools in Oxford, York Minster, and in repairs to the Houses of Parliament. The earliest recorded use of Clipsham Stone was for Windsor Castle between 1363 and 1368.
The Olive Branch is one of the very few pubs to hold a Michelin star and in 2008 was chosen as winner of the Michelin Pub of the Year.
The topiary Yew Tree Avenue, once the carriage drive to Clipsham Hall, is now maintained by the Forestry Commission. The avenue stretches for 500 metres (1,600 ft), with some 150 shaped yew trees leading towards the Hall, an 18th-century mansion set in a landscaped park. Many of the trees are over 200 years old and have been trimmed since 1870 into various shapes depicting birds and animals on the tops and designs in relief on the sides.