Clinton - Cuero, De Witt County, Texas
Directions: from Cuero, take US 183 south 3 miles south
Marker #: 5123000922
Year Dedicated: 1967
Size, type: 18 x 28" Subject
Last reported condition: Faded; Redo
Clinton - Created in 1846, De Witt County was named for Empresario Green De Witt. The county seat, originally at Cameron, was moved in 1848 to the pioneer town of Clinton, named for De Witt's son. County government returned briefly to Cameron, but Clinton again served as the county seat from 1850 until 1876, when Cuero was named the seat of government. Courthouse here included a log cabin and two frame buildings. A cemetery and well remain at the site of Clinton, evidence of the once-thriving community that was the home of many prominent area pioneers.
Decimal degrees: N 29.058370 W -97.327891
Degrees, minutes: N 29 03.502 W 097 19.673
UTM: Zone 14, Easting 662784, Northing 3215606
The above is from a Texas Historical Marker site.