The Town of Clinton is in the northwest quadrant of Dutchess County. It contains over of roads.
Clinton was first settled around 1755. The town was part of the Great Nine Partners Patent of 1697. The town was established in 1786 from territory from the Towns of "Charlotte" and Rhinebeck. In 1821, Clinton split to form the current Towns of Hyde Park and Pleasant Valley. Clinton participated in the Civil War with men enlisting in the 128th and 150th regiments. After the war ended, dairy farmers brought their milk by wagon to the creamery in the hamlet of Clinton Corners by the tracks of the Poughkeepsie and Eastern Railroad. This rail line continued to the Grove amusement Park at the south-east end of Upton Lake and the ice house at the north-east end of the lake. After the Poughkeepsie and Eastern declined with the advent of the automobile, the park closed. During the last half of the 20th century, the Town of Clinton has transformed from an agricultural to a residential center.