|Name||Clifton (near Hartshead)|
|Type||Hamlet, Civil parish|
|Located in||West Riding of Yorkshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||West Yorkshire, England (1974 - )|
|Yorkshire, England |
|See also||Halifax Rural, West Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district of which the parish was a part 1894-1937|
|Spenborough, West Riding of Yorkshire, England||urban district of which Clifton was a part 1937-1974|
|Kirklees, West Yorkshire, England||metropolitan borough in which it was located since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
NOTE: Clifton (near Hartshead) should not be confused with another Clifton, now in Doncaster, South Yorkshire.
Clifton is a village near the larger settlement of Hartshead, until 1974 in the West Riding of Yorkshire, England, now in Kirklees Metropolitan Borough in West Yorkshire.
Both civil parishes were part of the Halifax Rural District from 1894 until 1937. When the rural district was abolished both parishes were split between Brighouse Municipal Borough and Spenborough Urban District.
Historically, Clifton was in the ecclesiastical parish of Dewsbury in the Morley Division of the wapentake of Agbrigg and Morley.
- GENUKI on Clifton. The GENUKI page gives numerous references to local bodies providing genealogical assistance.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Dewsbury provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Clifton.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to three maps for what is now South Yorkshire, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1888. The "Sanitary Districts (which preceded the rural districts) for the whole of the West Riding.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding South 1900. The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (the southern part of Bradford, the southern part of Leeds, the southern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the southern part of Selby, Goole Rural District, and all the divisions of Halifax, Huddersfield, Wakefield, Doncaster, Barnsley, Rotherham and Sheffield)
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1944. The urban and rural districts of the whole of the West Riding after the revisions of 1935.
Categories: West Riding of Yorkshire, England | West Yorkshire, England | Kirklees, West Yorkshire, England | Halifax Rural, West Riding of Yorkshire, England | Brighouse, West Riding of Yorkshire, England | Spenborough, West Riding of Yorkshire, England | Agbrigg and Morley Wapentake, West Riding of Yorkshire, England
Help fund new features!