The Town of Clifton is in the south part of the county, within the Adirondack Park.
The first settlers came to work at the Clifton Iron Mine around 1866, which built its first iron furnace the same year.
The town was formed in 1868 from the Town of Pierrepont. The first town meeting was held in the office of the Clifton Iron Mine.
Early inhabitants arrived to work the local mines.