Place:Clifton, Cheshire, England

Watchers
NameClifton
Alt namesRocksavagesource: Family History Library Catalog
Beechwoodsource: hamlet in parish
Palace Fieldssource: hamlet in parish
Southgatesource: hamlet in parish
Stenhillssource: hamlet in parish
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates53.308°N 2.7°W
Located inCheshire, England     ( - 1936)
See alsoRuncorn, Cheshire, Englandancient parish of which it was a township
Bucklow Hundred, Cheshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Runcorn Rural, Cheshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1936
Sutton (near Runcorn), Cheshire, Englandparish into which it was transferred in 1936
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Clifton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"CLIFTON, or Rocksavage, a township in Runcorn parish, Cheshire; 2 miles NE of Frodsham. Population: 30. It gives the title of Earl of Rocksavage to the Marquis of Cholmondeley."

GENUKI gives the following details: Clifton (also known as Rocksavage) was a township in Runcorn ancient parish in Bucklow Hundred which became a civil parish in 1866. In 1936 the civil parish was abolished to become part of Sutton (near Runcorn). It includes the hamlets of Beechwood, Clifton, Palace Fields (south) and Southgate (part). The population was 28 in 1801, 30 in 1851, and 213 in 1901.

Research Tips

  • The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
  • Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.