|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Gloucestershire, England ( - 1931)|
|Also located in||Warwickshire, England (1931 - )|
|See also||Tewkesbury Hundred, Gloucestershire, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Marston Sicca Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district of which it was part 1931-1974|
|Stratford-upon-Avon Rural, Warwickshire, England||rural district of which it was part 1931-1974|
|Stratford-on-Avon (district), Warwickshire, England||district municipality in which it has been situated since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Clifford Chambers is a village two miles south of Stratford upon Avon, Warwickshire, on the B4632 and one mile south of theA3400. It consists of some 150 houses and the population of the parish in the 2001 census was 418. Until 2004 the village was in its own parish but it is now part of the parish of Clifford Chambers and Milcote. The River Stour runs along the north-eastern edge of the village.
The parish of Clifford Chambers, which had been part of Marston Sicca Rural District in Gloucestershire since 1894, was transferred to Warwickshire in 1931 along with the other parishes in the rural district. A further explanation will be found under Marston Sicca Rural District where a map of the area is included.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Clifford Chambers.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI Gloucestershire and GENUKI Warwickshire give pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the individual counties. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire and The FamilySearch Wiki for Warwickshireprovides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of Gloucestershire. However, there is a series of 7 volumes for Warwickshire.
- Comparing a map of Gloucestershire parishes in 1900 with a map of Gloucestershire parishes made in the 1943 helps to illustrate how the county borders changed through this period.
- Ancestry.co.uk has recently added Gloucestershire Burials, 1813-1988; Confirmations, 1834-1913; Baptisms, 1813-1913; Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813; and Marriages and Banns, 1754-1938. (entry dated 1 Aug 2015)
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Clifford Chambers, Gloucestershire, England | Tewkesbury Hundred, Gloucestershire, England | Marston Sicca Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Stratford on Avon Rural, Warwickshire, England | Warwickshire, England | Stratford on Avon District, Warwickshire, England