Clermont is a town in Columbia County, New York, United States. The population was 1,965 at the 2010 census. The name of the town is French for "Clear Mountain", referring to the mountain views in the town.
The town is in the southwest corner of Columbia County, south of the city of Hudson.
"Clermont" was originally one of the oldest of the great estates of the mid-Hudson valley. The Clermont Manor was established in 1728, in what is now the town of Clermont. The manor was originally part of the Livingston Manor; Clermont was a section in the southwest corner that was bequeathed to Robert Livingston, a younger son. His descendants would come to own more than in the Catskill Mountains and more than in Dutchess County.
Clermont marked the northernmost penetration by British troops up the Hudson River during the American Revolution; Livingston's home was burned because of his prominent role in the Revolution. It was rebuilt between 1779 and 1782. The house is now a New York State Historic Site and a National Historic Landmark.
In 1788, Clermont Manor was organized as the town of Clermont.
Clermont was the port of registry of Robert Fulton's first steamboat, co-owned by Livingston, which was called the North River. Today it is known as the Clermont. The ruins of its dock on the Hudson River can still be found at the historic site.
The estate, and later the town, was home to seven generations of the Livingston family until 1962.