Place:Clennell, Northumberland, England

Alt namesClennelsource: spelling variation
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.361°N 2.12°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoAlwinton, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Coquetdale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Rothbury Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1955
Biddlestone, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955
source: Family History Library Catalog

the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Clennell is a small village in Northumberland, England. It is about 1 mile (1.6 km) northeast of Alwinton.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Clennell from John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles of 1887:

"Clennell, township, Alwinton parish, [northern] Northumberland, 10 miles NW. of Rothbury, 1071 acres, population 26."

Clennell was a township in the ancient parish of Alwinton and became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Rothbury Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed into the parish of Biddlestone.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Clennell. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.