|Alt names||Claybrook||source: spelling variant|
|Claybrooke Magna||source: civil parish formed in 1866|
|Great Claybrooke||source: anglicized|
|Claybrook Magna||source: spelling variant|
|Great Claybrook||source: anglicized|
|Claybrooke Parva||source: civil parish formed in 1866|
|Little Claybrooke||source: anglicized|
|Claybrook Parva||source: spelling variant|
|Little Claybrook||source: anglicized|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Leicestershire, England|
|See also||Guthlaxton Hundred, Leicestershire, England||hundred in which the parish was included|
|Knightlow Hundred, Warwickshire, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Lutterworth Rural, Leicestershire, England||rural district in which it was situated 1894-1974|
|Harborough District, Leicestershire, England||administrative district covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Claybrooke from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "CLAYBROOKE, two townships in Lutterworth [registration] district, Leicester[shire]; and a parish partly also in Warwick[shire]. One of the townships bears the name of Great Claybrooke [Claybrooke Magna]; lies near the junction of Watling-street and the Fosse way, 1 mile WSW of Ullesthorpe [railway] station, and 4 NW of Lutterworth; occupies high ground, commanding an extensive view; includes the site of the Roman station Vennonæ; and has a post office, of the name of Claybrooke, under Lutterworth. Population: 424. Houses: 103. The other township bears the name of Little Claybrooke [Claybrooke Parva]; and lies contiguous to Great Claybrooke. Population: 84. Houses: 16. Real property of these townships: £3,992. The parish contains also the hamlets of Ullesthorpe and Wigston-Parva, and the liberty of Bittesby in Leicester, and the township of Wibtoft in Warwick[shire]. Acres: 5,380. Real property: £12,448. Population: 1,274. Houses: 297. The property is much subdivided. Claybrooke Hall is the seat of the Diceys. A number of the inhabitants are stocking-makers. The living is a vicarage, united with the [perpetual] curacies of Wigston-Parva and Wibtoft, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value: £451. Patron: the Crown. The church is decorated English, and good; and there are a chapel of ease, an Independent chapel, a free school, and charities £162."
Claybrooke was originally an ancient parish in the Guthlaxton Hundred of Leicestershire and the Knightlow Hundred of Warwickshire. It included the hamlets of Ullesthorpe and Wigston Parva, and the liberty of Bittesby in Leicestershire, and the township of Wibtoft in Warwickshire].
In 1866 the single ancient parish of Claybrooke was divided into two civil parishes of Claybrooke Magna (or Great Claybrooke) and Claybrooke Parva (or Little Claybrooke). In 1894 both parishes became parts of the Lutterworth Rural District and since 1974 civil parishes within the non-metropolitan Harborough District.
Wikipedia summarizes the villages of Claybrooke Magna and Claybrooke Parva today.
- Leicestershire Parish Records: baptism, banns, marriage & burial records covering 50 parishes back to the 16th century, over 1.8 million records;
- Leicestershire Parish Records Browse: over 3,000 volumes;
- Leicestershire Marriage Licences: 22,000 records between 1604 and 1891;
- Leicestershire Marriage Licences Browse: over 75 volumes 1604-1891;
- Leicestershire Wills and Probate Records: over 173,000 records, 1490-1941;
- Leicestershire Wills and Probate Records Browse: over 971 volumes, 1490-1941;
- Leicestershire Electoral Registers Browse: 3,862 volumes with thousands of names, 1836-1974;
- The website British History Online provides seven volumes of the Victoria County History Series on Warwickshire. The first (Vol 2) covers the religious houses of the county; Volumes 3 through 6 provide articles the settlements in each of the hundreds in turn, and Volumes 7 and 8 deal with Birmingham and Coventry respectively.
- GENUKI main page for Warwickshire provides information on various topics covering the whole of the county, and also a link to a list of parishes. Under each parish there is a list of the settlements within it and brief description of each. This is a list of pre-1834 ancient or ecclesiastical parishes but there are suggestions as to how to find parishes set up since then. GENUKI provides references to other organizations who hold genealogical information for the local area. There is no guarantee that the website has been kept up to date and therefore the reader should check additional sources if possible.
- Warwickshire and West Midland family history societies are listed in GENUKI.
- The FamilyTree Wiki has a series of pages similar to those provided by GENUKI which may have been prepared at a later date and from more recent data. The wiki has a link to English Jurisdictions 1851. There is a list of all the parishes in existence at that date with maps indicating their boundaries. The website is very useful for finding the ecclesiastical individual parishes within large cities and towns.
- A Vision of Britain through Time, Warwickshire, section "Units and Statistics" leads to analyses of population and organization of the county from about 1800 through 1974. There are pages available for all civil parishes, municipal boroughs and other administrative divisions. Descriptions provided are usually based on a gazetteer of 1870-72 which often provides brief notes on the economic basis of the settlement and significant occurences through its history.
- The two maps below indicate the boundaries between parishes, etc., but for a more detailed view of a specific area try a map from this selection. The oldest series are very clear at the third magnification offered. Comparing the map details with the GENUKI details for the same area is well worthwhile.
Categories: Leicestershire, England | Claybrooke, Leicestershire, England | Guthlaxton Hundred, Leicestershire, England | Knightlow Hundred, Warwickshire, England | Lutterworth Rural, Leicestershire, England | Harborough District, Leicestershire, England