Claverack is a town in Columbia County, New York, United States. The population was 6,021 at the 2010 census. The town name is a corruption for the Dutch word for "Clover Fields" or "Clover Reach". In 1705, the first discovery of a mastodon tooth occurred here.
The town is centrally located in Columbia County, east of the city of Hudson.
Claverack was originally approximately in area and was known as the Lower Manor of Rensselaer. The town was formed in 1778 from the older District of Claverack. In 1782, the town lost some of its land to the new town of Hillsdale. The town was reduced again in 1785 to form the city of Hudson. In 1779 Washington Seminary was founded in the town by the local Dutch Reformed pastor. Prominent former students at the school include U.S. President Martin Van Buren. In the nineteenth century the school was renamed Claverack College, and it closed in 1902. The many 18th century homes in the area include the 1786 William Henry Ludlow House.
Past residents of note