Place:Claughton-cum-Grange, Cheshire, England

Watchers
NameClaughton-cum-Grange
Alt namesClaughton with Grange
TypeTownship, Civil parish, Suburb
Coordinates53.391°N 3.048°W
Located inCheshire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inMerseyside, England     (1974 - )
See alsoWirral (hundred), Cheshire, Englandhundred in which it was situated
Wirral Registration District, Cheshire, Englandregistration district of which it was part 1836-1891
Birkenhead Registration District, Cheshire, Englandregistration district of which it was part 1891-1898
Bidston, Cheshire, Englandancient parish in which it was a township before 1866
Woodchurch, Cheshire, Englandancient parish in which it was a township before 1866
Birkenhead, Cheshire, Englandcounty borough of which it was a part
Wirral (metropolitan borough), Merseyside, Englandmetropolitan borough covering the greater part of the Wirral Peninsula since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog


Claughton-cum-Grange was a township in the ancient parishes of Bidston and Woodchurch in the Wirral hundred. Claughton became a civil parish in 1866. It included the hamlets of Dawstone and Oldfield. The civil parish was abolished in 1898 to become part of Birkenhead. The population was 67 in 1801, 714 in 1851, and 3920 in 1901. At the 2001 Census, the population of Claughton was 13,723.

In the nationwide municipal reorganization of 1974 the entire Wirral Peninsula, with the exception of the municipal borough of Ellesmere Port and urban district of Neston at the southern end, became the Metropolitan Borough of the Wirral in the new administrative county of Merseyside.

Research Tips