- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Clapton-on-the-Hill from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "CLAPTON-ON-THE-HILL, a parish in Stow-on-the Wold [registration] district, Gloucester; under the Cotswolds, 4¼ miles NE of Northleach, and 7¾ SW of Addlestrop [railway] station. Post town, Northleach, under Cheltenham. Acres: 783. Real property: £1, 249. Population: 123. Houses: 27. The living is a [perpetual] curacy, annexed to the rectory of Bourton-on-the-Water, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is old and small."
Clapton has been, since 1974, in the Cotswold District of Gloucestershire.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- Clapton-on-the-Hill from A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 6/Slaughter hundred in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Clapton, Gloucestershire, England | Slaughter Hundred, Gloucestershire, England | Stow on the Wold Rural, Gloucestershire, England | North Cotswold Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Cotswold District, Gloucestershire, England