Place:Clapham, Sussex, England

Watchers
NameClapham
TypeVillage
Located inSussex, England
Also located inWest Sussex, England    
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Clapham is a village and civil parish in the Arun District of West Sussex, England. The parish has a population of 317 (2001 census) in an area of . It lies three miles (5 km) north of Angmering on the A280 road and north of the A27 crossroads. It is adjacent to the village of Patching.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Clapham is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086, where it is spelled Clopeham. The woods around the area made it an ideal location for the gathering of wood for timber and firewood, and led to the first Saxon settlements in the area.

For many years much of the land around Clapham was owned by the Dukes of Norfolk and subsequently, after a land exchange, by the Somerset family, although by the early 20th century most of the land owned by the family had been sold off or donated to the village.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Clapham, West Sussex. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.