|Alt names||New Clanfield||source: settlement in parish|
|Old Clanfield||source: settlement in parish|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Hampshire, England|
|See also||Finchdean Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Catherington Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1932|
|Petersfield Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1932-1974|
|East Hampshire District, Hampshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Clanfield is a village and civil parish in the East Hampshire District of Hampshire. It is 2.4 miles (3.8 km) north of Horndean.
The surrounding parishes are Horndean, Catherington, Chalton, East Meon, and Hambledon.
It is in the very south of the district of East Hampshire and is situated about 12 miles north of Portsmouth and six miles south of Petersfield and sits to the west of the main A3 road, just north of where the A3(M) (Motorway) ends in the far east of the county of Hampshire.
Clanfield is overlooked from the other side of the A3 road by Windmill Hill and Chalton Windmill which stands at 193 metres above sea level. The windmill features in the names of many local commercial ventures.
The population of Clanfield is about 4,500 (estimated 2002). Clanfield consists of two parts, Old Clanfield and New Clanfield. Old Clanfield has been around for roughly 250 years and New Clanfield about 60 years. Clanfield and Chalton ecclesiastical parishes were amalgamated in 1932.
- Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 3, chapter on Clanfield.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Hampshire, England | Clanfield, Hampshire, England | Finchdean Hundred, Hampshire, England | Catherington Rural, Hampshire, England | Petersfield Rural, Hampshire, England | East Hampshire District, Hampshire, England