Place:Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, England

Watchers


NameClacton-on-Sea
Alt namesClactonsource: Webster's Geographical Dictionary (1988) p 269
TypeTown
Coordinates51.8°N 1.15°E
Located inEssex, England
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Clacton-on-Sea is the largest town in the Tendring peninsula and district in Essex, England and was founded as an (Urban District) in 1871. Clacton is a seaside resort that saw a peak of tourists in the summer months between the 1950s and 1970s. The town's economy continues to rely significantly on entertainment and day-trip facilities and it is strong in the service sector, with a large retired population. The north-west part of the town has two business/industrial parks. In the wider district, agriculture and occupations connected to the Port of Harwich provide further employment.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Clacton was a site of the lower Palaeolithic Clactonian industry of flint tool manufacture . Great Clacton was founded by the Celts around 100 BC. There are some vague traces of Romans using the Clacton area as a seaside resort. The name Clacton dates from around AD 500, when the area was settled by Saxons. The original name, Claccingaton, means "the village of Clacc's people". The Domesday Book records the village as Clachintuna.

Year History
400,000 BC Clactonian tools, early flake instruments dating back to the early Interglacial stage, get their name from the area.
900 BC The 'Catuvellauni' (Celts) set up a village inland, on the site of Great Clacton.
AD 500 Saxons under their leader Clacc set up residence, which becomes known as Clacc Inga Ton (the Village of Clacc's People).
1000 The "Claccingtune" is a tithe introduced by the Church to contribute two seamen towards a ship's crew.
1086 In the Domesday Book, it was recorded that 'Clachintuna' was part of a Manor belonging to the Bishops of London.
12th century Midsummer Fair established on 29 June, ran for 700 years, until abolished in 1872.
1539 Abbot of St.Osyth's surrendered all lands to the King. Henry VIII handed over the land to Thomas Cromwell.
1539–1545 Henry VIII]] appointed himself Lord of the Manors of Great and Little Clacton and Cann Hall after the execution of Thomas Cromwell.
1645–1832 Smugglers' headquarters in Great Clacton: there are said to be many tunnels, for example between St John's Church and the Ship Inn. One runs from the north side of the church towards St. John's Square. Others are reputed to run from the Ship Inn, Geddy Hall (home of the Webb family), the Queen's Head and at Eaglehurst, a house in Valley Road. The smugglers sometimes took captive the revenue men while they completed their work of unloading cargo from the unguarded beach at Clacton and storing it, ready for "Gentlemen" to transport it to London. Clacton Beach was also situated between two noxious marshes: Little Holland to the east and Jaywick to the west.
7 December 1830 Luddites smashed up farm machinery on nearby farms. Sophia Crosskey, a local publican, calmed down the riot with promises of free drink and food.
1911 Archaeologist J. Hazzledine Warren discovered a wooden spear, dating back at least 400,000 years. This is the oldest known man-made wooden artifact found on the British Isles.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Clacton-on-Sea. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.