- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Cinderford is a small town on the eastern fringe of the Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire, England. A population of 8,116 people is recorded in the 2001 census.
The town is relatively young, coming into existence in the 19th century, following the rapid expansion of the local iron and coal industries.
A visual clue to Cinderford's origins can be seen in the style and layout of the town; with long rows of identical terraced housing; similar to many found in towns of the South Wales Valleys, that also developed around the coal mining industry. During the decline of the coal industry, in the 1950s and 1960s, Cinderford suffered more than Coleford, the other main town of the Forest, as most of the male population was employed in coal-mining. Today, Cinderford is home to a wide variety of industry, including light and heavy industry.
- end of Wikipedia contribution
Cinderford was an extraparochial area within East Dean Rural District until 1953 when the parish of East Dean was broken up amongst neighbouring communities. With the abolition of East Dean parish Cinderford became a civil parish of 3,925 acres and a population of almost 7,000.
A 19th Century Description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Cinderford from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "CINDERFORD, a chapelry in Forest of Dean, Gloucester; 3½ miles WNW of Newnham town and [railway] station. It has a post office under Newnham. Population, 3,180. Here are extensive iron-works. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £300. Patron: the Crown. The church is modern, cruciform, and in the early English style. There are Baptist and Methodist chapels."
Westbury-on-Severn (1837 - 1937) (as part of East Dean parish)
Forest of Dean (1937 - 1953) (as part of East Dean parish)
Forest of Dean (1953 - 2006)
Gloucestershire (2006 - )
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- Volume 5, Chapter 3 of the Victoria County History of Gloucestershire found in the website British History Online expands on the subjects of free-mining and foresters throughout the Hundred of St Briavels. The first section of this chapter, entitled "Settlement" deals with the communities of Cinderford and Ruspidge. A map of the immediate area can be found a considerable way into the article (no page numbers within a chapter online).
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county