|Alt names||Church Crookham||source: name variation since 1840|
|Crokeham||source: ancient name of tything|
|Crookham with Ewshott||source: 19th century name of chapelry|
|Ewshott||source: hamlet in parish|
|Type||Chapelry, Civil parish|
|Located in||Hampshire, England ( - 1932)|
|See also||Crondall, Hampshire, England||ancient parish in which it was both a tything and a chapelry|
|Crondall Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Hartley Wintney Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1932|
|Fleet, Hampshire, England||civil parish to which it was part transferred in 1932|
|Crondall, Hampshire, England||civil parish to which it was part transferred in 1932|
|Hart District, Hampshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Crookham (formerly Crokeham) dates back at least as far as the Domesday Book of 1086, but Crookham Village and Church Crookham did not become separate entities until the founding of Christ Church (the church in Church Crookham) in 1840.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Crookham from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "CROOKHAM, a tything and a chapelry in Crondall parish, Hants. The tything lies on the Basingstoke canal, 2 miles SE of Winchfield [railway] station, and 4 ENE of Odiham; and has a post office under Farnham. Population: 1,020. Houses: 226. The chapelry is more extensive than the tything; bears the name of Crookham-with-Ewshott; and was constituted in 1842. Population: 1,283. Houses: 275. The living is a [perpetual] curacy in the diocese of Winchester. Value: £100. Patron: the Vicar of Crondall. The church is recent."
Crookham or Church Crookham became a civil parish in 1894 when Crondall parish was abolished. It was located in Hartley Wintney Rural District. In 1932 the parish of Crondall was revived and took back more than two-thirds of Crookham's area with the rest of it being transferred to Fleet. It is this latter part which now takes the name Crookham. (Source: A Vision of Britain through Time)
Crookham Village was formed in 1952 from part of the area transferred back to Crondall in 1932.
"Church Crookham is a large suburban village and civil parish contiguous with the town of Fleet, in northeast Hampshire, England, located 39 miles (63 km) southwest of London. Formerly a separate village and now generally considered as a southern suburb of Fleet, the area comprises one of the 18 wards of the Hart District." (Source: Wikipedia)
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
Categories: Hampshire, England | Crookham, Hampshire, England | Crondall, Hampshire, England | Crondall Hundred, Hampshire, England | Hartley Wintney Rural, Hampshire, England | Fleet, Hampshire, England | Hart District, Hampshire, England