|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Durham, England|
|See also||Winlaton, Durham, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Chester Ward, Durham, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Blaydon, Durham, England||urban district of which it was part 1894-1974|
|Blaydon, Durham, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Chopwell from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "CHOPWELL, a township in Winlaton parish, Durham; on the verge of the county, at the river Derwent, 8¾ miles SW by W of Gateshead. Acres: 3,150. Real property: £2,302. Population: 563. Houses: 102. Coal is found."
Chopwell was a township in the ancient parish of Winlaton. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1937 it was part of Blaydon urban district. In 1937 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed into the civil parish of Blaydon.