Place:Chollerton, Northumberland, England

Watchers
NameChollerton
Alt namesBarrasfordsource: township in parish
Chipchasesource: township in parish
Colwellsource: township in parish
Gunnertonsource: township in parish
Little Swinburnsource: village in parish
Swinburnsource: township in parish
Whiteside Lawsource: village in parish
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates55.046°N 2.103°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoTynedale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient division in which it was located
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Chollerton is a village and civil parish in Northumberland, England situated on the A6079 road, about 6 miles (10 km) to the north of Hexham, on the River North Tyne. Nearby villages include Low Brunton and Humshaugh. The population of the parish in the 2011 UK census was 881.

The church dedicated to Saint Giles is noteworthy for the four large Roman columns built into its south aisle. These are believed to have been brought from the Roman fort of Chesters a couple of miles downstream.

A nineteenth century description

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Chollerton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"CHOLLERTON, a township, a parish, and a [registration] sub-district, in Hexham [registration] district, Northumberland. The township lies on the North Tyne river and the Border Counties railway, adjacent to the Roman wall, 6¼ miles NNW of Hexham; has a station on the railway; and includes the villages of Whiteside-Law and Little Swinburn. Acres: 2,817. Population: 151. Houses: 26.
"The parish contains also the township of Barrasford, which has a post office under Hexham; and the townships of Colwell and Swinburn, and Gunnerton and Chipchase. Acres: 12,950. Real property: £23,657. Population: 1,156. Houses: 232. The property is subdivided. Swinburn and Chipchase are modern seats on the site of ancient castles. A victory was obtained in the south, at the Roman wall, in 635, by King Oswald over Ceadwallon. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value: £361. Patron: the Rev. Bird. The church is good. The vicarage of Birtley is a separate benefice.
"The sub-district contains three parishes, part of another, a parochial chapelry, and an extra-parochial tract. Acres: 46,230. Population: 5,365. Houses: 1,013."

All of the above townships were still part of the civil parish in 1935. They have therefore all been redirected here.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Chollerton. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.