Place:Chislet, Kent, England

Watchers
NameChislet
Alt namesCisteletsource: Domesday Book (1985) p 147
Chislettsource: spelling variation
Boyden Gatesource: settlement in parish
Chislet Forstalsource: settlement in parish
Highsteadsource: settlement in parish
Marshsidesource: village in parish
Upstreet (Chislet)source: settlement in parish
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates51.333°N 1.2°E
Located inKent, England
See alsoBleangate Hundred, Kent, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Blean Rural, Kent, Englandrural district of which it was a part 1894-1934
Bridge Blean Rural, Kent, Englandrural district of which it was a part 1934-1974
Canterbury District, Kent, Englanddistrict municipality to which the parish was transferred in 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Chislet is an English village and rural parish in northeast Kent between Canterbury and the Isle of Thanet. The parish is the second largest in area in the Canterbury District. The population of the civil parish includes the hamlet of Marshside and some other small settlements (all redirected here). Most of the land use is fertile agricultural and a significant minority of the land is marsh where low-lying. The population of the parish in 2011 was 872.

The Chislet marshes mark the western end of the Wantsum Channel, an arm of the North Sea that separated the Isle of Thanet from the mainland. Saltmaking was an important activity in the marshes in ancient times. Chislet Windmill stood north of the Thanet Way on the road to Reculver until it burnt down in 2005; a replica of the exterior (but without sails) was built on the same site in 2011 during a housing redevelopment.

Coal mining was carried on in the parish between 1911 and 1969.

end of Wikipedia contribution

Chislet was originally an ancient parish in the Bleangate Hundred. Between 1894 and 1934 it was part of the Blean District. In 1934 the Blean Rural District was abolished and the parishes were transferred to the Bridge Blean Rural District. Since 1974 the area is covered by the non-metropolitan Canterbury District.

Research Tips

  • Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
  • Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
  • For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
  • Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
  • Census records for Kent are available on FamilySearch, Ancestry and FindMyPast. The first site is free; the other two are pay sites but have access to microfilmed images. Steve Archer produced a very useful round-up of the available sources, but this information may not be up to date.
  • Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
  • England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911 The full database from Kent Archives Office, Maidstone, has been available online from FamilySearch since June 2016.
  • Kent had five family history societies (now only four):