|Alt names||Chislehampton||source: spelling variation|
|Type||Chapelry, Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Oxfordshire, England ( - 1932)|
|See also||Dorchester Hundred, Oxfordshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Culham Rural, Oxfordshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1932|
|Stadhampton, Oxfordshire, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1932|
|South Oxfordshire District, Oxfordshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Chiselhampton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "CHISELHAMPTON, a parish in the [registration] district of Abingdon and county of Oxford; on the river Thame, 5 miles ENE of Culham [railway] station, and 7½ SE of Oxford. Post town, Stadhampton, under Wallingford. Acres: 1,210. Real property: £1,446. Population: 133. Houses: 26. The property is divided among a few. Chiselhampton House belonged once to the D'Oyleys, and belongs now to Peers, Esq. The long bridge of Chiselhampton, now much altered and widened, was defended by [John} Hampden against Prince Rupert, on the morning of the fight of Chalgrove. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Stadhampton, in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £135. Patron, Rev. J. W. Peers. The church is tolerable."
Chiselhampton was originally a chapelry in the ancient parish of Dorchester on Thames, but became a separate ancient parish in 1763 and a civil parish "early". (Source: A Vision of Britain through Time). In 1932 it was abolished to enlarge Stadhampton.
The Wikipedia article includes a summary of the ownership of the manor in greater detail than given above.
Categories: Oxfordshire, England | Chiselhampton, Oxfordshire, England | Dorchester Hundred, Oxfordshire, England | Stadhampton, Oxfordshire, England | Culham Rural, Oxfordshire, England | South Oxfordshire District, Oxfordshire, England