- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Chirton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "CHIRTON, a township in Tynemouth parish, Northumberland; on the river Tyne and the North Shields railway, ¾ of a mile W of North Shields. It has a post office under North Shields. Acres: 1,730. Population: 5,544. Houses, 1,047. There were extensive collieries here; but they have been worked out."
Chirton was a township in the ancient parish of Tynemouth and became a separate civil parish in 1866. In 1908 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed back into Tynemouth. Because of its proximity to North Shields it is often considered as a suburb of North Shields rather than part of Tynemouth.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.