Place:Chirdon, Northumberland, England

TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.143°N 2.374°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoSimonburn, Northumberland, Englandancient parish of which it was part until 1811
Greystead, Northumberland, Englandancient parish of which it was part after 1811
Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient division in which it was located
Bellingham Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1955
Greystead, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Chirdon from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"CHIRDON, a township in Gaystead parish, Northumberland; on a burn of its own name, an affluent of the North Tyne, 5½ miles W by S of Bellingham. Population: 60."

Chirdon was a township in the ancient parish of Simonburn before 1811. In 1811 Greystead (or Gaystead), a part of Simonburn, became an ancient parish in its own right. Chirdon became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Bellingham Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed back into the parish of Greystead.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.